Conley Fleming, LLP, a law firm dedicated to serving nonprofit organizations and philanthropic individuals (www.conleyfleming.com), has an exciting opportunity for an experienced tax-exempt lawyer to join its growing practice in Center City Philadelphia. Conley Fleming provides sophisticated legal advice and services to a wide array of nonprofit organizations including public charities, private foundations, trade associations, and other philanthropic organizations and individuals. We counsel clients locally, around the U.S., and internationally.
We welcome applications from all well-qualified, experienced nonprofit attorneys, including nonprofit in-house counsel who may be looking to transition to private practice. This position offers the right individual freedom to build a long-term practice, but does not require an existing book of business upon hiring, as we are primarily seeking a senior lawyer to take a leadership role with existing clients.
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications and skills:
· A demonstrated commitment to, and desire to work with, nonprofit organizations and philanthropic individuals
· At least 8 years of legal experience working with sophisticated tax-exempt organizations, with a focus on drafting legal documents
· A knowledge base in the following areas (familiarity with application to exempt organizations/nonprofits, and in complex structures, is strongly preferred):
o corporate law including nonprofit corporate and transactional experience
o federal taxation
o corporate finance
o fundraising and fund management
o trusts and estates (Orphans’ Court and charitable gift planning)
· Licensed to practice law in PA (or eligible to waive in); admission in jurisdictions such as NY, CA, MI, or FL is helpful
· Excellent communications skills – both orally and in writing, including an ability to explain difficult legal concepts to non-lawyers
· Some management experience of associate counsel, paralegals, accountants, and/or other compliance staff in the tax-exempt sector
· Strong legal and business judgment
· Excellent research and analytical skills
· Personal characteristics - positive; collaborative; decisive; and professional
Other factors for consideration include:
· Relevant professional experience in the nonprofit sector
· Masters of Law in Taxation
· Nonprofit board experience
· Pro bono and other volunteer experience
· Writing and publication history
· Participation in Bar Associations in the tax-exempt community
· Public speaking experience
Although not required, we are especially open to an additional knowledge base in the following areas, which may not be related to exempt organizations:
· Marketable securities
· Alternative investments, including private equity, hedge funds, and real assets
· Venture capital
· Endowment management
The firm sets reasonable and manageable billable hour requirements and values each team member’s work-life balance. Our compensation package is very competitive, including opportunities to be rewarded for your own hard work and business development. We offer an annual cash bonus structure and other alternative benefits that are tailored to each team member’s individual situation and preferences. The firm will consider relocation assistance for the right candidate.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to Caity Kennedy at email@example.com. Please note that candidates must apply directly and that resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.
We would welcome a cover letter, as well as the following, if available:
· descriptions of large tax-exempt transactions handled,
· at least one writing sample (which may include an anonymized transaction document of which you were the primary author or a layman’s marketing summary of legal issues), and
· names of two to three references.
For more information about our firm, please visit www.conleyfleming.com.